'The Therapists, Therapist'
How do I find/choose a therapist?
For your own health you need to choose a therapist who is properly qualified. Make sure that the therapist belongs to a professional organisation and is insured.
The following guidelines are the main priorities for anyone seeking a therapist. You are entitled to this information, and have a right to ask for it. If a therapist is resistant to giving the following information, then go elsewhere.
- Make sure your therapist is insured the certificate should be on display.
- Look out for the therapists certificate of membership of a relevant organisation or association, or for their other qualifications. At present, hypnotherapy and psychotherapy is not regulated, although most therapists are working towards this. Ask the therapist how long they trained for and what practical experience they have had before you make your choice. Don't be afraid to ask about their qualifications.
- Make sure that the association which your therapist belongs to sets and/or maintains standards.
- Ensure that the association has a code of conduct to which your therapist subscribes.
- Make sure that the association has a complaints system to deal with any problems
- Check out the therapist and the organisation they are affiliated to by writing or phoning them or looking on the internet.